Friday, March 16, 2012

Lenten Reflection (I couldn't come up with a more generic title)

Ok, so we're deep into Lent so I was trying to evaluate my Lenten "progress" (...that's an overly simplistic way of putting it). But really, did I get the ashes, take a shower and go on with my life as usual just minus a few drinks or sweets, of course. How do I take a look at how Lent is transforming my interior life and manifesting in my ways of living the exterior Christian life.

Here's a few things that I came up with to ask myself:



1) Has there been a change for the better in my prayer? Not so much in content or feelings received from praying as much as more effort and desire put toward being in prayer. I think that this is one way to see if I am personally making the sacrifice of time that I need to be making for the Lord.

2) Have I complained a bunch about my fasting or brought it up as often as I could in conversation? Fasting isn't really fasting if we're complaining about it. How can the glory of fasting go to God if all the attention of fasting is on me. Not only am I turning my own attention away from God, but I'm pridefully turning the attention of others toward myself in a time meant solely for growing closer to God. I think that's feasting in irony/vanity; not fasting in humility.

3) Have I given any alms at all? The third thing Lent is about shouldn't be forgotten, even by so-called "poor college kids". I think if we fast correctly, then giving what we save in fasting should make almsgiving easy. It doesn't though. All of the sudden there are so many other opportunities to spend money where we couldn't before. No more of that. Give in humility and trust that God will do good with the gift.

4) Do I have a beard yet? Men, this is too often overlooked as a necessary component of Lent. Grow one. (Don't let this take away from the sincerity of my other questions.)

5) Have I done a reflection on the stations of the cross? Although this isn't explicitly mentioned as a necessary part of Lent, I see no better way to prepare for to join in Christ's sacrifice than to meditate on the depth of that very sacrifice. As He goes to His death, so we go to ours. As He rises victorious, we are raised by His victory.

Hope this helps a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment