Monday, March 5, 2012

Where Have all the Good Times Gone?

Bible verse theme of the day:


     "And the seventh angel sounded; and there followed great voices in heaven, and they said, 'For the kingdom of this world, it shall become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ. And He shall reign forever and ever more.' " Revelation 11:15










In related news:


     Sometimes I freak out about our world and how I feel like it's going down the drain. Sometimes it feels like there is no hope and while I try to trust in God I fall short too often and take on a despairing attitude with which I bring those around me to the level I'm at. That is the dumbest thing we can do at a time like this, when it feels like our freedom is being stripped away and that no one is on our side.


      I was reminded of how to combat this perspective a few days ago of this by a witty tweet off twitter that lifted my attitude to a more acceptable and hopeful level. Ennie Hickman tweeted:


"Historically, when it gets bumpy, God is up to something big. Don't worry, trust in Him and enjoy the show."

     How true and insightful. I'm not sure, but I would say that Ennie posts things online that he feels he needs o hear himself, but that might help others find a little truth. I think we need to do the same thing. We need to tell ourselves something like this and actually believe it. Stuff like this pumps me up because it (1) let's me know that other people are feeling the same way as me and (2) gives me the right perspective as far as how to approach whatever it is that is in the way of life at each moment. Then Ennie put this gem up today:

"On the Mount, God says "It's about to get crazy, but fear not. I got this." I need to be reminded that He hasn't exited His throne in 2012."

     God hasn't left his throne. Duh. When I hear that I do a face palm and think how great of a God we have. He is on His throne and the kingdom of this world will indeed become one in the same with God's kingdom. He's got this, there is nothing to worry about and the fact that I worry and stress just tells me that I don't trust God enough. By this, I'm reminded of the first chapter of J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Silmarillion". It's basically a cosmology and creation story that I'll briefly summarize.

     Where do I start besides with Illuvatar, or Eru, who is the God character and he is the supreme creator and director of all things. Secondly, we have the Ainur who are Tolkein's angel characters and who play in Illuvatar's symphony. One of these, is Melkor, who is the Lucifer character. This is an almost insulting to the book in it's simplistic explanation, but basically Illuvatar conducts the Ainur in a masterful harmonic symphony. Every noise fits in perfectly with all the rest and nothing seems out of place. Simply put: it's beautiful. Then, Melkor proceeds to have thoughts not aligned with Illuvatar's set directing which he "weaves into his music". There is immediate discord and chaos in the music and many of the Ainur are thrown off by this and many even join in the Melkor's own devious theme. To this Illuvatar just begins directing his own theme that he had not previously revealed and Melkor's discord and chaos, to his dismay, became once again perfectly in tune with the music and the plan of the great maestro. 

     When I read this for the first time, it blew me away and I loved it because the who time Illuvatar is in control. So too is God always in control. What do we have to worry about when we know that God has read the ending of the story. He knows exactly what is going to happen and not only that but he planned it from the beginning. We all all just a single measure in the symphony that God has written and completed. All the chaos will happen but it's nothing the Divine Author hasn't seen. There's not a single being out there powerful enough to affect the grand finale that is God's victory. No one gets to change the ending of the last chapter that's already written into eternity. It's done. It's over, we just get to "enjoy the show" now.

P.S.  Not only is it done, but it's a really freaking good song.


2 comments:

  1. New post from Ennie today that relates:

    "Evil always looks like it's gonna win... and then it doesn't."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're referring to "The Show" by Lenka, yes, it is a really freaking good song :)

    ReplyDelete